Student Support


When you study at Hawthorn-Melbourne, you can take advantage of our student support services. We have advice and counselling services, pastoral care and online learning resources to make sure you are doing well inside and outside the school environment. These student support services are designed to make your studies at Hawthorn-Melbourne as enjoyable and rewarding as possible.


Registration day

The first time you attend school will be your registration day. Details of the registration will be emailed to you one week before your class commences.

Registration is at 9.00am.

On registration day you will:

  • Complete some paperwork to finalise your enrolment. We will ask you to tell us your contact details in Australia and your visa information. 
  • Have your photo taken for your student card. Your student card will give you access to computer labs, the gym and the library. 
  • Have an interview with a teacher.
  • Take an English level test if you haven't completed this in advance – this is to ensure we place you in the best class for your ability - please bring a pen!

On registration day we will give you all the information you need to settle into study at Hawthorn-Melbourne and adjust to life in Melbourne, Australia.

Health and welfare

We provide a range of services to support students, including:

  • free, confidential, on-campus counseling and support service.
  • targeted mindfulness, stress reduction and healthy lifestyle seminars.
  • on campus assistance with health insurance claims.
  • first aid and assistance with health referrals.

24 hour emergency helpline

If you need help, you can contact Hawthorn-Melbourne at any time on our 24 hour emergency helpline for students. Just call 1800 NAVITAS (1800 6284827).

Further studies advice

If you intend to study at high school, college or university in Australia, our staff can meet with you to discuss your progress and provide advice. We can help you connect with our partner schools and colleges through our pathway programs.

Visa information

To study in Australia you need to apply for a student visa from the Australian Government. You can find out more about this on the government’s Study in Australia website.

Your spouse and children under 18 years of age may be eligible for a dependent student visa. This visa allows them to stay in Australia for the duration of your course. Your children may need to be accepted into a school before they are granted a visa.

For up-to-date information and to find out whether you are eligible to study in Australia, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Your teachers

All of our teachers are experienced and qualified English language teachers. They are degree and TESOL qualified.

They are focused on helping you reach your goals. And we ensure they stay up to date with the latest teaching techniques, through an ongoing professional development program.

Social activities

The Hawthorn Activities Program is a great way for students to make friends, explore Melbourne and keep active.

The Activities Officer organises:

  • sporting competitions
  • after class activities
  • off campus excursions